Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What Would You Do?

It's time to evaluate your music morality. 

Question:
If one of your favorite bands' upcoming record leaked onto the internet a few weeks early, would you listen to it? And moreover, would you still buy it when it was released?

I'm assuming most people would listen to it, and save the few bucks for something else. I'll play the role of saint on this one, though. I admit I try never to listen to leaked albums, and I'll always go out and buy the CD
when it's released. Thus is the case with the upcoming New Found Glory record, Not Without A Fight.









In the beginning of February, NWAF leaked all over the net and killed the ton of anticipation that was surrounding NFG's sixth full-length album. The band don't seem too worried about it though. They actually like the idea of fans responding early to the new music. 

A post by guitarist Chad Gilbert explains their position:
 
"It is a bumm out that some of the anticipation is lost. the whole building up to release date loses a bit of its excitement but to be honest the fans that would go out of their way to download it are the true fans that go out of their way to buy merch and post online about how much they like it and are the ones that will know the words first and sing every song at the show. You are driven to get it because you like NFG so how can I be bummed at that!"

Well, as much as I respect Gilbert and his band, I'm still going to wait for the CD. That doesn't make me any less of a fan though. I'll still know every song on the album within a week, and will still be singing along when NFG comes to the House of Blues this spring. 

So back off guys, I'm still going to be putting money into your pockets come March 10th when the album drops. I could easily just grab it now, but I won't. You've got to give some credit to that, right? I'd like to think I'm still a true fan. 

It seems like commonplace lately that new albums hit the net early. NFG are just the latest victims. I won't preach to you, but I do have some advice. Stay true to who you are and your music morality. Download it if need to, buy the CD if you can wait. Go see the show, and pick up a shirt at the merch table. Just don't forget to support the band you follow, because remember, this is their career. 

2 comments:

  1. Of course I'd listen to it before the release date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't plan to listen to it until the release date...seriously.

    I have already tried seeking out locations that will actually be selling this album (which is difficult given my current geographical location; in the middle of nowhere).

    Anyways, April 30th at the House of Blues, Boston...NFG & Bayside :)

    ReplyDelete